Auto glass plays an integral role in protecting both the inside and outside of your vehicle. It is essential for safety, visibility, and structural integrity. It absorbs impacts from flying objects; provides protection from wind, rain, and snow; and reinforces the car’s frame. Without strong, undamaged, and well-sealed glass, the vehicle would be vulnerable in a rollover crash and would also be exposed to the elements, making it susceptible to deterioration and corrosion.
No matter how careful we are in looking after our vehicle and when driving, accidents can happen, and sometimes our vehicle’s auto glass may be damaged or broken. In those instances, it is important to have the auto glass taken care of ASAP.
So when you need auto glass replacement, you need a reliable and experienced auto glass shop to turn to. Fortunately, our professionals from Max Auto Glass are equipped to handle any of your auto glass needs, from complete windshield replacement to back and side glass replacement. We can get you back on the road quickly with auto glass that you can trust to help keep you comfortable and safe in your vehicle.
In this guide, we’ll explore why auto glass replacement is not something you should put off, what to expect from the replacement process with Max Auto Glass, and the benefits of working with a local auto glass shop.
Why it is So Important to Have Auto Glass Replacement Done ASAP
In some cases, your auto glass may be cracked but not entirely broken, so you think it is ok to ignore it for a little while. And yes, quite often, window damage happens at very inopportune times. But when the glass can’t be repaired and needs to be replaced, it is very important to act promptly.
Having your auto glass replaced as soon as possible is extremely important because it helps to ensure your safety and protection as well as the safety of your passengers and the vehicle itself. If you don’t have it taken care of quickly, there are several things that can happen:
- A cracked windshield can create a dangerous situation by obstructing the driver’s view of the road.
- A broken window weakens the structural integrity of the vehicle. This is especially true if it is the windshield or rear window that is broken. In a rollover crash, there will be a higher chance of the roof caving in.
- When a window is broken, the car can become vulnerable to theft and vandalism.
- There is a risk of further damage due to weather conditions. If the glass is exposed to rain, snow, or extreme temperatures, moisture may get into the vehicle, which could severely damage the interior.
As you can see, it’s essential to replace the broken auto glass as soon as possible. Doing so will help keep you and your passengers safe and help protect the car’s structure and value. So, when you need professional auto glass replacement, you need a local auto glass shop, like Max Auto Glass, that you can count on.
What You Can Expect for Auto Glass Replacement at Max Auto Glass
When you need auto glass replacement, it can be extremely helpful to have a clear idea of what to expect from the repair process. Here is a breakdown of exactly what our auto glass technicians will do for a windshield, side, and back glass replacement:
The Process for Windshield Replacement
- Auto windshields are held in place by a powerful adhesive. So, first, the adhesive around the existing windshield needs to be cut or broken with special tools before it can be removed. In some situations, it is also necessary to remove any clips, trim, molding, retainers, fasteners, and window cowling that are helping to hold the glass in.
- If there are any ADAS sensors attached to the current windshield, these are temporarily removed.
- The auto glass technician uses a specialized device with a suction cup(s) attachment to carefully remove the existing damaged windshield while also being careful to avoid damaging the pinch weld that helps to secure the windshield in place.
- Sometimes, even specialists cannot prevent causing a little bit of damage to the pinch weld while taking out the old windshield. If this occurs, the damage usually consists of very minor scratches that are resolved by putting a tiny bit of urethane primer along the outside edge of the windshield, the inside edge of the glass, and the window channel. This primer enables the adhesive to keep the windshield in position while also preventing the formation of rust along the window channel.
- The old urethane adhesive is removed to allow for the installation of the new urethane glue and windshield.
- Any debris present in the pinch weld or on the dashboard is removed.
- Before any new urethane glue is applied, any rust that may be present in the window channel is sanded and primed.
- Once the window channel is clear (and primed if needed), the technician applies the new urethane glue around its entire perimeter.
- Any molding that was temporarily removed is reattached to the outer edge of the new glass.
- The suction device is used again to carefully lower and set the new windshield into the proper position within the window channel.
- Once the replacement windshield is correctly positioned, it is usually temporarily held in place using small strips of tape. The tape helps stop the glass from moving and permits the urethane adhesive to set correctly. The urethane is completely cured in approximately three hours.
- Any ADAS sensors that were temporarily removed from the old windshield are reattached to the new one.
- The new windshield is cleaned and left sparkling clear.
The process for windshield replacement is fairly quick, usually taking 30 minutes to an hour. But it is very important to also factor in the time it takes for the new urethane adhesive to fully cure. After the windshield replacement is done, you should not drive the vehicle for at least one hour, or as recommended by your auto glass technician. This allows the adhesive time to harden and settle the new windshield in place.
It is also important to note that for 48 hours after your new windshield is installed, you should not remove the tape/clips, wash the vehicle, or slam the doors/trunk, as doing so can jeopardize the seal of the new adhesive.
Side Window Replacement Process:
In nearly every instance of a damaged side window, the glass will need to be replaced. This is because, unlike your windshield, which is made of laminated glass, side windows are made of tempered glass that will completely shatter when hit with enough force.
The process for side window replacement is pretty straightforward:
- The door panel is carefully removed to allow access to any glass debris that may still be stuck in the window frame/door panel or the window regulator.
- Any loose glass within the window frame and inside the vehicle is vacuumed up. We are careful to ensure that you won’t have to worry about shards of glass being present after we’re done.
- Once the area is clean and clear of any loose old glass, the new window is carefully fitted into the vehicle and, if applicable, the window regulator is reinstalled.
- The window regulator is tested with the new window to ensure that there is no mechanical damage and it functions properly.
- As long as the regulator is working properly and the new window is correctly moving up and down, the door panel is then carefully reinstalled.
- The new window is thoroughly cleaned and left spotless.
A side window replacement service normally takes less than an hour.
The Process for a Back Window Replacement
Also referred to as the “back windshield” or “rear window,” this is tempered glass similar to that which you find in the vehicle’s side windows. But, unlike the side windows, the back window often has built-in lines of thin wire used to defrost the glass. And in newer vehicles, the back window will also sometimes have ADAS components attached to it.
So, the process for back window replacement does look a little different to the other windows:
- Using specialized tools, the rubber molding/trim that runs along the outer edge of the window is removed.
- Any remaining broken glass pieces within the frame of the window are carefully removed.
- The electrical connection for the defrosting is temporarily disconnected.
- The surrounding interior of the vehicle is thoroughly vacuumed to remove any loose glass pieces.
- Using a specialized suction device, the new back window is carefully installed.
- The glass is secured in place, and the trim is reinstalled around the outer edge.
- The connection for the defrost is reconnected and tested to ensure that it is still working properly.
- The surface of the new glass is then carefully cleaned and left crystal clear.
A rear window replacement service will take roughly 45 minutes to complete.
Max Auto Glass Is Your One-Stop Auto Glass Service Shop
As you can see, no matter which window has been broken, we can take care of you here at Max Auto Glass. We truly are your one-stop auto glass service shop. You can count on us for a full range of services that also include:
- Auto glass repair (laminated windshield repair)
- Power window repair
- Auto glass calibration for your vehicle’s windshield-integrated ADAS
Our technicians are certified and highly trained to provide you with the highest quality services. With Max Auto Glass, you can count on the best in the business for all of your vehicle’s auto glass needs.
The Benefits of Working with a Local Professional Auto Glass Shop
Working with a local professional auto glass shop for auto glass repair and replacement offers many advantages. The most important benefit is that professional auto glass shops are familiar with the local laws and regulations concerning auto glass installation. This means that the job will be done correctly and efficiently, which can help save time, money, and stress.
Additionally, the technicians are more experienced in the auto glass field; are certified; and have access to the latest techniques, equipment, and supplies, including high-quality glass and urethane adhesives. This allows them to deliver superior-quality work.
Finally, as is the case with us here at Max Auto Glass, some professional auto glass shops are preferred insurance auto glass providers. This means that the shop has pricing agreements with all of the major vehicle insurance companies and will maintain the highest quality standards in auto glass replacement. You can trust that the shop will meet or exceed stringent standards of professionalism and customer service.
Trust the Local Experts for Auto Glass Replacement in Tucson
As you can see, it is important to have auto glass replacement done right away to ensure the safety and protection of passengers and to prevent further damage to the vehicle.
Here at Max Auto Glass, we offer high-quality, professional auto glass replacement services to get you back on the road quickly and safely. With our mobile service, we will even come to your home or office for your convenience.
Our Dow-certified and Auto Glass Safety Council™ certified auto glass experts are equipped with the knowledge, skill, and specialized tools necessary to make sure the job is done correctly. Whenever you are searching for auto glass repair or windshield replacement in Tucson, you can count on Max Auto Glass for superior service.
Contact us today for a free quote for any of your auto glass replacement needs!